Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ultimate Cure?

I have this obsession with vitamins because they are so important of daily functions. And I am fascinated with how each one contributes to the body and how. I believe that the food we find ourselves usually eating, don't hold the proper nutrients to keep a person physically and mentally strong. The main reason I found myself so interested in vitamins was to help cure/end my struggle with acne. There hasn't been much scientific evidence that it works, so it really depends on your own person regimen and it will effect everyone differently. First off, being a college student who is limited to only two meals a day, it can be hard to eat balanced meal that fulfill all the needed nutrients.

As of now I am taking:
  1. Fish Oil- This helps keep inflammation down. They also have omega-3, which a lot of people are lacking! But fish oil have a million benefits, and you can read about all the details yourself. HERE.
  2. Probiotics- This keeps your colon clean and replenishes the 'good' bacteria. You might want to take these if you are on any antibiotics especially long term. I have been on numerous antibiotics for many years so I started this to rebuild there effectiveness. Even if you aren't on antibiotics they are good to take because when their is food stuck in the colon it can cause inflammation or break outs. (recently: i stopped the antibiotics and am now doing it the natural way)
  3. Multi-vitamin- There are a million different types out there. Personally, I look at the back and compare the dosages of each vitamin. It is really personal preference, but basically they all have they should have all the same vitamins. I strongly suggest a mult-vitamin because it has lots of b-vitmains which are important, but kinda hard to take just by themself. You don't NOT want to overdose on certain vitmains like vitamin A so do your research if you plan on experimenting and taking multiple vitamins at one time. I also like multi-vitmains because then you know you are getting everything you need for the day.
  4. Biotin- This is actually in multi-vitamins, but it is really important for skin,nails, and hair. So I take an extra supplement of it too. I have noticed a big difference in my nails, they seem to grow faster and are much whiter, stronger. I have pretty long hair already, but I assume if my nails are growing so is my hair.
  5. Garlic Pills- These help with the inflammation, but they aren't too important and don't take them all the time. I decided to take these pills after eating a large clove of garlic and my face seemed to be a lot brighter and less red. Its hard to measure if they really work or not?
I think vitamins can possibly cure mental disorders. Personally, I think it is pretty easy to miss out on a lot of required daily vitamins. A lot of vitamins are needed to keep your mental health in order...maybe this has to do with why there are so many mental disorders today?

Think about it: Eating high fat foods like cookies and chips have little nutritional value. Eating this food not only makes you fat, but you are depriving yourself from real nutrition. You become overweight and unable to think clearly and function really as you should be. This viscious cycle of eating more junk and never getting 'better'. If both of those things happened to me, I would be depressed or wish I had some mental disorder to blame it all on.

Maybe vitamins are not the cure for every problem. But you can focus on how it may help on how they can give added benefits and possibly increase your general well-being. I see it as just one easy way towards taking control of your life.


No comments: